View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 07:55 AM   #32
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Well, we saw the same thing with "The Hobbit"- hordes of fans repeating the now-infamous mantra that everything was "in the Appendices". Clearly they hadn't read them, so why did they care? It's as though the idea of canonicity is the important thing for some fans.
That's what I don't get. For people who have either only made a cursory read through of the books, or not read them at all, why is canonicity important?

On this forum the Canon is used to support or deconstruct various discussions, and obviously the vast majority here are ardent fans of the books.
But I have difficulty seeing why the general public, especially the 'gamer' clique, would be so concerned about the 'legitimacy' of the games. Are they that sensitive to criticisms of the games they perceive might come from people, say, like us?

Admittedly, I may have a colored view of those who would buy games like SoM, and devoted readers of the books might well be also avid gamers who could overlook the extreme liberties taken with the source material. I'm just not one of those people.