View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #141
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor
So if there is no difference between them, then if the first imaginary process is immoral, then so it the second.
If one chooses to judge it. However, I dispute that fanatasising about killing an Elf is the same as fantasising about killing a real human being, & that fantasising about killing a real human being is qualitatively different from actually killing them. All the rest is a side issue as far as I can see.

Quote:
Then you agree that anyone can pick up the moral and religious elements in the works.
I also agree that anyone can pick up the spelling mistakes, typos & bad grammar. I'm arguing they may choose not to, that they may not be interested in them & that they may not correspond to the reader's own moral value system.

Quote:
No, you are missing my point. The question was what (general) moral or religious truths from M.E. cannot be hold true by a 'perfectly moral' reader - so far you have presented nothing that precludes this. The cartoons you are reffering to are a false analogy, since they are not trying to convey an immoral idea, but hilarity - if they do try to portray unncessary killings or suffering as acceptable values, then they are immoral.
And I'm arguing that this may not be the reader's approach to the story. You seem to be elevating a 'moral' reading over any other. A work of fiction cannot be 'immoral' - only the intent of the maker & the interpretation of the reader can be judged moral or immoral. Therefore the whole thing is subjective.

What this comes down to is a simple question - are you prepared to judge a person's character based on whether they choose Morgoth over Eru, or think A Nazgul is cooler than an Elf? If a reader chooses to approach Tolkien's work as being no more 'serious' or 'deep' than South Park then, however 'moral' they are they may side with Morgoth, Eru or the Fox in the Shire & it will have absolutely no relevance at all in terms of understanding the reader's moral value system. Again, you are taking your own approach to the work as being the 'norm'.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote