View Single Post
Old 11-05-2023, 12:35 PM   #4179
Desert Kris
Newly Deceased

Desert Kris has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Welcome to the Downs, Kris! Always lovely to have new people joining! Kick back, enjoy, and make use of this cozy place for all your Tolkien needs.

It's fascinating to hear about your family "heirloom". Did you have an AHA moment when you first saw the "my precious" source material?
Thanks for the welcome!

I was pretty young, but when I watched The Hobbit animated movie, and saw the character Gollum and heard him saying "Precious" and "My precious" I asked about it and knew after that that the joke came from that story. And I vaguely understood when introduced to LotR that they were connected, The Hobbit first followed by LotR.

I was so young though, The Hobbit was epic and daunting! Even after being shown the bulky hardcover box set of LotR, which was even more intimidating. I wondered how the story could go on and on to fill all those pages with all those words.

But yeah, I understood that the character Gollum in both stories was the origin of a shared joke in my family, when I saw the animated films. That shared family joke is why Tolkien's work kind of feels like part of the family, or inheritance. Something that bonded us, that I could explore in my own way when I was ready.
Desert Kris is offline   Reply With Quote