View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #682
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Not wishing to sound like a chauvinist, but I found Mists of Avalon dreadfully boring and devoid of humor. I prefer T.H. White's retelling of the Arthurian cycle in The Once and Future King. Mary Stewart's Merlin series (The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, etc.) is interesting in parts, but is rather somber, and tends to meander later on in the series.
It's going to be impossible to express without it coming out all wrong, but Mists of Avalon seemed to have that hippy Glastonbury feel about it. Maybe the best way I can describe it is that it was a bit 'trippy'

I'd forgotten about the Mary Stewart ones - I read those not long after reading LotR for the first time and they stood up to the incredibly fussy taste I'd developed!

I've got Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book here, so I'm about to see what that's like...

I got The Lost Girls for Christmas - it's very good, and very, very, very adult.....Oh, and one I have to thank Pio for is The Fables - I finally read the first one last year and it was amazing! I'm trying to find the second one now...