View Single Post
Old 05-03-2004, 05:46 PM   #169
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Anorien, Dec. 17: Ravion

Ravion squinted at where he thought Raefindan's arrow had landed. He winced when he caught sight of the white feathers, and closed his eyes. Raefindan glanced at the Ranger worriedly.

"That bad?" Raefindan asked, sounding miserable.

"No, not that bad," Ravion said politically, "but let us simply say that in a battle, you would have either hit the enemy--" Raefindan brightened, "--or me."

The red-haired man's face fell, and he sighed. "I'm trying," he said. Off of Ravion's glance, he stammered, "Am...trying."

"It takes practice, and I am a fairly wretched teacher," Ravion said wearily. He went and retrieved the arrow, giving it back to Raefindan.

The stars were just beginning to come out, and Ravion tilted his head back to look at them. It was a lovely night. Why, then, did he feel so wretched?

Perhaps he had been too rough with Aeron. Maybe the girl was disturbed, and Aeron could not do anything about it. It was entirely possible. But what, then, was to be done about it? He truly could not allow Gwyllion to continue acting like this. If only there was something he could do about Gwyllion.

He glanced over his shoulder, and saw the rest of his party. It was odd to think of it as "his" party, but that was what he had been calling them in his head. Raefindan, Mellonin, Aeron, and Gwyllion...and him. The Company. The Fellowship, even. And if it was his company, he was responsible. Right?

"Ravion?" The Ranger heard Raefindan's voice and turned. "How was that?"

Ravion turned and looked at the tree where he had affixed the mark that Raefindan was to hit. The arrow was about three inches above it.

"Much better," he said quietly. "Great."