View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #21
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

Mirkgirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkgirl
Sting

Saw that in fb and thought to give my 2 cents. Took a bit to find the time

To properly answer a question, one should know what is meant by the terms used. We know who Maiar are, Beings are only relevant if we want to discuss any specific being, but what is this "sex" thingy...
In the original question I see hints for 4 possible definitions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
It is well known that the Valar got married, and presumably had sex with each other. Sex is, after all, an integral part of marriage.
Ok, this is sex being that special one on one activity that couples do. (One of) The reason(s) they get together. Sex as a couple glue.
Quote:
because I don't believe that Sauron ever had any loves or crushes, courtships or whatnot.
Sex as a physical pendant to love (or obsession).
Quote:
Before Sauron became The Eye, I always imagined him being a humanoid, and therefore he would have the parts to have sex.
Sex as a physical activity.
Quote:
but we do have examples of children being born to maiar, like Luthien, so therefore some of them were.
Sex as means to reproduce.

My answer depending on what that s-word means:

I. Couple Glue:
Sauron: Not interested in such thing. Wears only friend in his world on his finger until he looses both.
Valar: They surely had a couple thingy. Tantric sex that Sting hasn't dreamt of or something.
Maiar: Not as apparant as the Valar but probably yeah.

II. Love pendant (Obsession)
Sauron: The REAL baddies in Tolkien's world aren't some misunderstood emos (for which he has my respect). They don't love or obsesse over gals. EXCLUSION: While he was a blender, he might have faked it (if it was useful for him he would have).
Valar/Maiar: Dunno. Probably. Possibly. They want the couple thingy, after all?

III. Physical activity
Sauron: Surely. I mean why not? And the time argument is irrelevant if we exclude the love/obsession/couple thing.
Valar/Maiar: The ones that were happy to try new things surely... Unless it was binding to human form and/or the couple thingy was great enough.
Wizards: The time argument holds, as they will also engage in a love/couple thingy. The old age probably protected them from it. Saruman, just as Sauron, was a complete Baddy: yeah he prolly did it. He even got new clothes, as he probably tried to tell himself that the women actually liked him for himself.

IV. Reproduction
Sauron: Deffo not. Immortals probably had some way to controll this, as there was no overpopulation issue in ME. But he would probably kill his women and eat the babies before he conceives possible competition.
Valar: Couldn't. If the tantric thing was also as good as sting thinks - lucky bastards.
Maiar: Had probably something to do with choice.
"Hobbits! Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this."
Mirkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote