View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #83
FlimFlamSam
Pile O'Bones

FlimFlamSam has just left Hobbiton.
Inziladun spoke: [You don't care for it, apparently. I think that's quite clear.]
Yeppers. Clear as crystal I think.
I've already said I was deeply immersed in it on both a reading level and scholarly level for nearly 30 years. Now--get it away from me!
Almost like a bad marriage that was once good.

Unfortunately there are no Lord of the Rings only message boards that deal strictly with Lord of the Rings and not any accessory books.

Galin spoke: [I would say is somewhat reflected in Tolkien almost changing publishers]
That worked out well!

Somewhat?
He burnt that bridge with glee didn't he? Then had to come crawling back and do some sketchy repair work, and do some boot-licking.

Letter #123 is hilarious. "Dilatory coils of Allen & Unwin". What a riot.

#124 is even funnier. "I cannot contemplate any drastic re-writing or compression." Then asking for the formal letter declining to publish for legal matters after declaring it a bloated (600,000 words and a scary thing to contemplate publishing at the time; in addition to the estimated 400,000 words of the then Silmarillion) monster unfit for children, which is what the publishers were expecting and made monetary payments for-- a sequel to The Hobbit and thereby hoping they would reject it by asking (nay demanding later) to have them publish both. Since that was a condition the new publisher was ready to accept, once Mr Tolkien finished the Silmarillion he wanted to go there instead. And STILL trying to pimp The Silmarillion [B]at the same time[/BI] to Allen & Unwin as the better alternative to publishing Lord of the Rings instead.
And to publish them both NOW!

#125 Reminding Allen & Unwin how long the book is and that he doubted readers would stick with it, aside from his close friends. Yeah, you don't want to publish that! Especially since it cannot be divided up artifically into smaller books for ease of publication. So sorry Charlie. Reject it! Reject it!
You want this nearly equally long and clearly unfinished book instead! You know, the one you already rejected (albeit through misunderstanding of the lay instead of prose).
But I understand if you want to back out now. Do it! Do it! Riot!

#127 Are you going to publish both or not? Yes or no? No! Oh happy days!

#133 After the new publisher backed out due to the very things Mr Tolkien used to get out of his Allen & Unwin contract.

To Allen & Unwin--"I have modified my views" (because I need money and you were at least willing to publish Lord of the Rings until I was a jerk and uncompromising in order to get out of the contract and go elsewhere). "Can anything be done to unlock the gates I have slammed myself?".
Oh BTW belated congratulations on your marriage that I never gave earlier because I was angry with you and hoped your slimy soul rotted in purgatory.
I uhhh had tennis elbow, yeah that was it. Call anytime! Hoping to hear from you!
FlimFlamSam is offline   Reply With Quote