View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #301
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Now, I didn't even know fifth chords existed until now (only sevenths), but luckily they also give some saner chords. Like D! D is cool. They give D as 232000.

Wikipedia has an article on this, which also provides D... as 000232.

Do they make more sense if you read them backwards?

Yep! Here's Am as 577555 from an English-language source. Apparently Russians just write their chords backwards from the English-speaking world.
You know, you might be onto something there. Because D can very much be played X00232. Whereas 232000 to me reads as F#-C-E-G-B-E, where literally the only note that belongs in D major is F#, maybe C if you make it into D7. And looking at these notes make me think of C major with an F# and a B natural slammed on top, or alternatively an E minor with an extra F# and a C, both of which make it sound like someone headdesked the piano (and what I really felt like doing after going through the cipher and getting similar gibberish). Let me try doing this backwards then:

Forest is worn line:
Am5 is fine
558775 = A-E-Eb/D#-A-E-A (which is much better than previous gibberish but E and Eb are still a weird combo)

I had to flee line:
323200 = G-Db-Bb-E-A-E (which actually makes Gdim7 with an A added on top)
656500 = Bb-E-Db-G-A-E (same thing: these are all notes of Gdim7 except for the A)

But this is a lot better than what I had previously, e.g. for the first "flee" chord: G-B-F-A-B-E - or, in other words, EFGAB, 5 notes in succession, which is a chord you might hear when someone headdesks the keyboard in frustration.

I think you fixed it. <3

(I will have to look up suspended chords, but diminisheds are beautiful things for resolutions into a minor key. I stuck them in several places previously because they made sense and sounded nice. That stuff is good stuff. I trust that stuff.)

ETA: what I now actually find amusing is that occasionally - very rarely, but just often enough to give me hope that I might be on the right track after all - there would be a chord that might have actually made sense as not quite harmonious but plausible thing, something akin to a X5 or X4 or something. Monkeys with typewriters do spell out "oksfordte dictoinnearie" without having to sit there an infinite amount of time, I suppose.

ETA #2: these flipped chords are a lot better to work with. So far I made it as far as "forthcoming death", with dissonance - but a more controlled sort of dissonance. I might not have to escape to Nargothrond after all, unless I jinx it.

ETA#3: Lol. Searched some of these chord-codes on google.ru to see if I can find confirmation of which notes are meant to be dissonant. First thing that comes up is a site with the chords for "Meeting". :/

Last edited by Galadriel55; 10-02-2020 at 05:52 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote