View Single Post
Old 02-23-2004, 03:26 PM   #119
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Thorn

Thorn wasted no time, and avoiding the stables, left the way he had come nearly knocking over a young slave boy pushing a small wagon of pails and tarpaulins as he came round the corner. Grabbing his shoulders he steadied the ragged youth and dodging him made his hurried apologies rushing on only to be delayed by the sentry once more.

"If you are come looking for your lesson, I can not be spared now, but will meet you in the evening when my relief comes," he said as Thorn approached.

"It may be some time, it seems, before I may benefit from your kind offer, even longer than you suggest. For I have not come in search of your instruction, but must leave as soon as possible."

"Leaving already? That is not a good sign! Was Lord Falasmir unhappy with you, or has that uncharitable overseer dismissed you for your ill-advised dawdling?" the guard mocked with an air of friendly self-satisfaction.

"Neither that I know of as yet," Thorn weakly grinned. "But I have been granted leave to pursue the matter I spoke of earlier. It is of great import to me and I must go quickly, if Lord Falasmir’s guard will but let me pass."

"Than by all means, be off. You know where to find me should you return in one piece! Meanwhile, stay clear of bad company and it should serve you better."

"I will do my utmost," Thorn replied, bowing quickly. And with that, passed through the gate and down the hill outside its doors. It was not unduly far to the Cat's Paw and Thorn ran there, though he felt each footfall sharply along the way. Slowing only as he neared the inn, he thought to stop briefly to buy a small token for Narika to remember him by, for he had not seen her since he had last left for the coast and that had been too long ago. Choosing a bangle of bright blue glass from a street vendor, he slipped it into the folds of his robe wishing that he could purchase salt and raisins also. But having no means to carry them on such a long journey, he settled on the light ornament, before he turned down the alley that led to the Inn.

When the familiar building finally came into view, he saw that Lena was out in the yard sweeping the grounds with a bundle of thin twigs bound with mottled leather, her brow beaded with sweat as was his own. And greeting him by name as he arrived, she said, "You have missed Ráma I am afraid. For she left quiet early this morning and I do not expect she will return, either in an hour or in a week."

"Then she has received my message? It was to be delivered by a young lad from the palace, about so tall," Thorn inquired holding his hand between elbow and shoulder high.

"Yes, that would be the one," Lena chuckled, "And I handed the letter over to her myself. There were no others."

"My honest thanks to you dear lady, for your attention. You have greatly eased my mind."

“Than that is easy enough to do! But ease my mind as well, Master Thorn. Please see to it that your cousin is placed away from danger’s reach. She is too daring I think, for a woman, and though she is clever I fear that some ill-luck might befall her.”

“Miss Lena, you do not know what you ask. Ráma is brave and discerning and though I will always try my best to shield her, one cannot cage a gale, and neither can I persuade her to do anything that she does not see the full merit of. But do not worry, she has wisdom as well, and will not readily put herself at risk. Indeed that is why she is gone today.”

“Than if that is the way of it, I need not trouble you with my poor request, but will content myself with your confirmation of her good sense. Thank you Master Thorn.”

“Do not mention it, but I also must be on my way and would ask some water of you before I go.”

“Certainly,” the woman said, and in a few moments she placed in his long hand a wooden cup filled to the brim. Thanking her he drained it, and taking his leave found a secluded corner adjoining a vacant field.

Placing the bangle in the dust before him, Thorn began emptying his mind of its burdens. With closed eyes he focused intently until his mind swam centering on a single point. The sight within him grew in acuity and his arms in restless, as his toes arched and the sharpness of talons dug into the ground, and opening his eyes again there lay the bangle still at his feet. Taking it in his beak, he flipped it up, the ring of glass sparkling in the sunlight, and catching it around his neck, he moved to the field.

With a few effortless beats of his wings he was aloft, an eagle rising above the buildings, heading toward for the deep desert. But this eagle thought not of fish or mice, but contemplated instead how to talk his friend Surinen into posing as a large colt for just a short time, before he eventually became distracted by the small movements on the ground below and the joy of soaring on the high zephyrs.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 02-23-2004 at 04:44 PM.