View Single Post
Old 10-06-2002, 11:22 PM   #171
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

***** DALE-Jarl *****

'Jarl of Dale, I actually have instructions from King Fuinur to invite you on a tour to Nurn as our guest.' Jarl looked up in surprise at this statement. How politic he is! he thought, his brow furrowed slightly. He makes the first move so graciously. Shall I be gracious back, or shall I nudge him just a bit? He smiled a slow smile at Gramil.

'King Fuinur, you say! An honor for Dale to be regarded so well by him.' He paused. 'You have seen him lately, then?' When Gramil did not reply, he pressed him further. 'I had heard he was travelling of late? Toward Gondor, I believe. Is this true?' Gramil's face showed nothing. 'And with Herumir. Or so I was led to believe.' He paused again, and looked full at Gramil. 'What I would really like to know is why he has gone there.'

The sun had just risen, when Garlin felt a firm nudge to his shoulder. He opened his eyes groggily to see Jarl standing before him. 'Come, Garlin, I packed our belongings and we will be leaving soon. But there are some few things we require from the bazaar.' He threw the young man his hooded cloak. Leave your friend sleeping, he has need of it. And Gormack will be here should he wake.'

Garlin put his cloak on hastily and hurried after Jarlin. 'What do we need in the bazaar. I thought we would stay away from it?'

'We need clothes for our travels by Oliphaunt. It will be hot, and these clothes we brought will chafe us miserably if we have to ride in them day after day. I want to pick up some short knives, and I thought you might pick out a weapon of your choosing. Beyond that, what we need is to make some amends to the tradesmen whose property was destroyed. You will apologise to them, and we will buy supplies from them to seal the apology. Now, show me where you went last night, if you please.'

Garlin led the way into the city center.

[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]