View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 08:20 PM   #1898
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
I should think that the Eorl of the Middle Emnet has more than just one man at arms after a couple months
Exactly to the point. Stigend was hired for two purposes, because he was a handy craftsman but also because he had served in the men at arms... but surely there are others beside Thornden and Garwine...

Quote:
How many, I don't know; something that seems reasonable.
Will we try to be historical (whatever it is?) or "Tolkienish" (whatever it is?) or just plain "fanfic-writers" (whatever it is?)?

I'd say 3-5 would sound realistic to me as permanent household knights / men at arms, whatever. To these would be added people like Thornden and Stigend with their respective roles in the Mead Hall. Not to say the quests...

Quote:
As to the situation in the kitchen, I thought Ghem was pretty stupid and overly loyal in not just ducking out the Alder Court door and leaving Ulric and Withold in the lurch; I would probably have had Falco not see him until too late. But that option was not chosen
As I said earlier: a nice move, but not the best for Ghem. Now we need to think something different...

One suggestion would be: we have never said how ready the kitchen was. I mean that has been all the way under construction - the oven and the fireplace are made as Garstan has done that and the passage from the Hall is ready as well as Stigend has done that but maybe there is some unfinished work in the kitchen Ghem might use for his escape?

Quote:
Speaking of which, I would expect that Ulric and Withold, and Ghem for that matter, realize that time is of the essence, and they are losing it rapidly the longer they just stand there and hold the two women hostage. So as time progresses, the initiative and advantage will switch to the Eorl's House, away from the outlaws.
That's the reason why I thought Eala should post asp but his latest post didn't kind of solve the problem - even if it was an imaginative one and pretty good as such.

But we'll surely solve this.

One thing coming to my mind - and probably the best I have right now - would be another miscalculation of Stigend (I can write that, surely - easily tomorrow = under 24 hours). He could try to take on Withold and saving Ginna with a risk. That would leave a path open for a "quick reacting" Ghem to unbolt the door and run away to the Alder Court. Then it would be a question only how Falco and Thornden fail to catch him...