View Single Post
Old 11-17-2003, 08:39 AM   #60
Eurytus
Wight

Eurytus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
that reveal her as Feanor's equal
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
rank

Rank is only one part of it. Tolkien clearly loved Feanor despite all his faults, and even Gandalf held him in high regard; If she is Feanor's equal, or even close, then she is fiery, creative, ambitious and capable of leading a large group of elves off into war and destruction. And I think a careful consideration of Galadriel shows that that is so.
Sorry but you are not debating the correct part of the post. The fact was that I had used the Silmarillion and Tolkien's mythology to suggest that Galadriel was likely to be the next being after Gandalf that Sauron would fear to claim the Ring.

Someone then tried to use this comment of mine to prove that I was being hypocritical in regards to when I stated that one should not have to read the rest of Tolkien's works to see the psychological depths to the characters in LOTR.

Since I was using Tolkien's other works to compare Galadriels power, standing (call it what you will) against Gandalf's it was incorrect of that person to label me a hypocrit. I had used Tolkien's other works to assess someone's power, not their psychological depth which is the title of this thread.

And I stand behind my earlier comment that any author worth his salt should not need to rely on unpublished works to enhance the psychological depth of the characters. Nor is psychological depth the same as backstory or history.
If you take the movie Jaws, we know and indeed learn very little about the history of the three men on the Orca (Quint maybe a little) and yet does in impair on our ability to see into their psyches? No, not in my view.

Psychological depth can be achieved relatively economically and does not need acres of history or backstory which is a very different thing.

Lionel Hutz
Eurytus is offline   Reply With Quote