View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003, 02:34 PM   #142
Guo Si
Animated Skeleton

Guo Si has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Guo Si
Sting

Lately I've been reading more Eastern literature. I'm almost finished with The Four Great Chinese Classics (or something close to that). These are composed of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, The Water Margin. Journey to the West, and A Dream of Red Mansions.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a historical fantasy about the time when the Han Empire dissolved. Out of it came the three empires of Shu, Wu, and Wei. Its an excellent book, with more battle, intrigue, and treachery than you can shake a stick at.

The Water Margin is set in the time of the Northern Song Dynasty. Its about 108 bandits who fight against the corrupt government to help restore the Emporer's court to honor. Eventually they end up with an amnesty, but are killed by rival nobles anyways.

Journey to the West is about a buddhist's journey to India to obtain some holy scriptures. With him are three divine monsters. Its really good, even though I haven't finished it yet.

A Dream of Red Mansions is the only one I haven't gotten around to reading yet. Its about court life in the late 18th century, and the decline of the feudal estates.

Other books I've read include the Harry Potter series and numerous other's who's names elude me now.