View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #109
Moonraker
Banned

Moonraker has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
That is an opinion that is unfortunately invalid. You find his foresight uncanny to the point you consider it unbelievable, then you claim that Tolkien himself was in error for portraying him that way. I offer you the fact that the gift of foresight was an ongoing and verifiable attribute throughout all the Ages of Middle-earth, that Tolkien himself mentioned such a gift, and among Aragorn's Dunedain ancestors that attribute was noted.

In future, less opinion more research, thank you.
Aragorn incorrectly feared that there was no exit from from the realm of Moria. He also did not fear for his other companions as voicefully (Frodo and Pippin both could have been killed). His foresight had limitations, and I do believe Tolkien was wrong to make it seem like Aragorn singled out and suspected Gandalf as the sole target to fall in Moria.

I did pay tribute to Aragorn's inherited Ranger instincts in my previous post. That, of course, cannot be discounted. I just don't see him being ''gifted'' with foresight to the extent you are implying. Aragorn, but great though a Ranger he may be, he isn't supernatural like Glorfindel, or Gandalf, or Elrond.

Last edited by Moonraker; 08-15-2014 at 05:48 PM.