View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 05:00 PM   #15
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White Tree A couple of points

It's nice to see how this thread has progressed since my last post...

I'd like to make a couple of points. First, thanks for posting those quotes, Leaf; but I feel you left an important one out. It is the exchange between Boromir and Aragorn at the end of the Council of Elrond, which I think is very revealing. Boromir said that Aragon's sword may stem the tide, 'if the hand that wields it has inherited not an heirloom only, but the sinews of the Kings of Men'. Aragorn's response is quite low key: 'Who can tell? But we will put it to the test one day'.

It is clear from this that Boromir accepted Aragorn's descent, but is waiting to see if he has any of the qualities of the old kings. For all Boromir knew, this man and his immediate ancestors had done nothing other than reproduce and hold on to some heirlooms. The main question he is asking is, obviously, 'Can he fight?' Aragorn is aware that Boromir is one of the most important people he will need to win over, hence his low key answer.

The second point is one made by critic Paul Kocher in his Master of Middle-earth: The Achievement of J. R. R. Tolkien (1972). He devotes a chapter of his book to Aragorn, and makes an interesting point about what happens to that character after his crowning as King Elessar: 'Aragorn the man recedes from us into Aragorn the King. But there are still times when the regal robes are off'. The example Kocher gives is when Aragorn and Gandalf climb Mount Mindolluin. The former points out his loneliness at the long prospect of his new royal responsibility and is aware that Gandalf would soon leave.

Another example, which Kocher was not then aware of, can be seen in the abandoned last chapter of LotR, the versions of which are given in Volume 12 of The History of Middle-earth, when Aragorn as Elessar is going to pay his second visit to the North, and sends a letter to Sam and Rose, saying that he would be at the Brandywine Bridge on a particular date, 'And he desires to greet there all his friends'. He added that 'In especial he desires' to meet Sam, Rose, and their children, each child mentioned by name, a nice touch.

I was sad that this chapter didn't make it; as it showed through the letter that Elessar remembered when he was Aragorn and Strider, and presumably had no problems with his friends addressing him as such.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote