View Single Post
Old 04-09-2004, 06:53 PM   #260
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Shield Willow

"That's very nice," said Willow. "You play the flute very well."

Willow stood up, and tested the strings on her fiddle. It was still quite in tune since when she had played it earlier, and she dredged her mind for a tune. One came to mind straight away; a slow, sad sounding song; one of the slower Shire songs. Willow thought it might fit, and played the tune to see if the others recognized it.

Home is behind, the world ahead.
And there are many pathes to tread.
Mist and shadow, cloud and shade,
All shall fade, all shadows fade

The song was somewhat known in the Shire, and sounded sad and mournful on a violin. And that was what Willow wanted too, she liked that kind of music, though she knew many faster songs. "Are you familiar with that song?" she asked, tucking her fiddle under her arm. "It is fairly simple."

She sat back down, suddenly realizing that she had played where someone would hear her, and for that reason. What have I just done? she thought. I've never been able to play in front of someone before, and never intentionally. Maybe I am growing more comfortable with playing, more than I thought.

She breathed out sharply. "Are any of you familiar with the song?" she asked, her voice soft, and thoughtful. The song had been a favorite of her mother's... and. Do not bring up painful memories, Willow, she chided herself. You have finally found a place to fit in. You are not going to run off again!

Willow tightened her face, her resolve made. She was going to play her fiddle that day, and there was no memory that could stop that.