View Single Post
Old 08-18-2002, 08:08 PM   #24
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

Great replies, everyone.

Baran, you are right that the Christian fundamentals in LotR come from Tolkien's point of view. I read somewhere, don't recall where, that he wrote the books for himself, not for the public eye. He probably viewed them as sort of an extension and completion of himself. I find it curious that nowhere in LotR do the characters express adherence or acknowldgement of any sort of religion, especially the hobbits, as the old man likened himself to them.

If anything, the "God" in LotR is Fate. In Fate do the members of the Fellowship place their hope and faith. Even the smallest actions, Bilbo's fumbling hand finding a small piece of metal in the dark, have impacts upon the world of ME. Gandalf's quote to Frodo, "you were meant to have the Ring" is said as a comforting assurance. Fate seems to be omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, and all those other omni- words. Not until The Silmarillion are we introduced to the ruling sentients of Ea.

I agree, and really there is no ground to disagree, that the world of ME is the world of a Christian, but it is surprisingly pagan, at that. What with tree-people, river-women, and assorted other patron entities, one sometimes feels in the midst of Bulfinch's Mythology! In this way, Tolkien's stories are very similar to the aforementioned Lewis', and I imagine such characters were discussed at length over many a pipe. What I would give to have been a fly on the wall.

As a side: Orome, this discussion is not meant to offend anyone, nor is it meant to make any claims. Don't take any of the views expressed herein personally, as this is meant to be an open discussion of Tolkien, not of personal beliefs. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Well, I'M BACK.