View Single Post
Old 06-07-2004, 03:23 PM   #304
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Ceolwyn seemed a bit confused at the volley of questions but nevertheless good-natured as she smiled, and as the two questioners introduced themselves the Gondorian man stood and bowed. "I am pleased to make your acquaintance," he said. "My name is Nardon and this is Ceolwyn, my wife." She continued to smile at them and said nothing, but gave them a nod in greeting. Nardon paused and then gestured for the two newcomers to sit. They smiled and accepted his offer politely.

"I will not beseech you repeat your former questions," he said. "I recall them perfectly and I will merely answer them now. I come from this fair land of Gondor, and not far from where this inn stands now. I was born here and raised here but have not lived here all my life. My wife is of Rohan though she has lived in Gondor these past two years."

"And are you weary?" asked Calentathar

Nardon shook his head but glanced at his wife, who made no move to either say 'yes' or 'no' but merely smiled in an expectant way at her husband, as if she wanted him to speak for her. He sighed as he returned his gaze to Calentathar. He had hoped his wife would answer the question for she was skilled at phrasing delicate manners in a way that was not improper. Despite the many cries of praise of his way with words he had heard in his life, he felt clumsy with words, the sly little things. Often he knew in mind and heart what to say but the words would slip away from him so he could not say it.

"She is a little weary," he said, feeling more than a little odd that he must speak for her, but then he had grown accustomed to it, "though we have not travelled very far. However it is to be expected..... in her condition."