View Single Post
Old 03-10-2003, 05:39 PM   #44
The Ruling Ring
Haunting Spirit

The Ruling Ring has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here's my first post. If it needs any work, please let me know. When it's all good, I'll post it on the thread.

Oh! And if any more characters (Elves or anything) are needed here, I'll be glad to fill a spot. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

As Ohtaredan listened to Herebrand's pledge to the small crowd to help them in their need, he felt the emotions of the warrior stir within him; desire to do good, to help those in danger. But he could feel them sink as the people cheered, being dragged down with the feelings of wistful absence. His hand brushed the hilt of his sword. It was a nice hilt on an even finer sword. When his father had to told him finally that he was going to join the Riders of Rohan, he'd gone outside by himself, behind the house, to the anvil that sat waiting and inviting, always, and began to make the sword. It had taken him the entire week, working from the evening well into the night, but it was ready when he joined up. Gostannendoll (roughly "feared dark" in Sindarin), he had named the blade, and while it had proved useful on many occasions with the guard, it also proved to be a somewhat upsetting reminder of what his family had made him give up, no matter how dearly he loved and respected Herebrand and the others, or cherished the feelings of valor he found himself rewarded with much of the time.

Ohtaredan looked up sharply, realizing that Herebrand was speaking to him and Ilisit. He smiled obligingly at Herebrand as the leader turned back to the group, introducing them.

“Also may I introduce you to Ohtaredan, my second-in-command, and Ilisit Scron, a new addition to my patrol, but nevertheless an expert tracker and warrior.”

Ohtaredan stepped forward, eyeing those before him with the strength he knew he possessed, and would demonstrate amply, before this was done.

"I wish only to be of aid," he said softly.

[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: The Ruling Ring ]