View Single Post
Old 03-30-2004, 07:16 PM   #56
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
1420! Minas Tirith: Mellonin

"Food for travel. Yes, sir." Mellonin turned on her heel and hurried towards the stairway door, but then stopped abruptly and turned to look at Morien.

"What d'ye tarry for?" he snorted, and with a wave of his barkeep's rag shooed her out the door. "Wait! Mellonin, get back here."

She ran back to the bar. He thumbed seven coins into his palm, and handed them to her. "That's this week's. Now go... Raefindan!"

Mellonin curtseyed, thanked him (it was an advance) and ran upstairs, siezed her cloak and basket; then from under her mattress took her two weeks saved pay, and then ran back to the door, but stopped, returned, and rummaged in the pile in the corner til she found Mellon's backpack and her own shoulder-bag. Thus prepared, she ran down the stairs and headed for the market.

Back in the bar, Morien thumbed seven more coins into own palm, motioned Raefindan over, and gave him the same advance in pay.

"Thank you, sir, " was Raefindan's heartfelt reply.

"There are extra blankets in the back of the tack room in the stable, under a pile of saddles. They're old and thin and have holes, so take two each. I can't spare the good ones; wear your cloaks outside 'em and you'll be warm enough. And I can't spare any camping gear but if I were you, I'd go and ask some of the retired Ithilien rangers if they can spare any camping gear. Old Damrod comes to mind, three doors beyond the fifth gate." Raefindan sped out the door and headed for the fifth gate.

Ravion looked up to see Morien approaching. He was not a small man, and his face was not smiling. "You'll guide them well," Morien growled.

Ravion returned his gaze quietly, waiting to see whether it was a compliment or a threat.

Morien placed Ravion's half-forgotten mug of frothing ale in front of him. "Here is what I owe you, " the barkeep said. "And now, if you don't mind--" Morien nudged the bowl of soupy pebbles, and then patted the bag.

Ravion turned to Aeron. "You can give him the stolen coin willingly and peacefully. Or, we can search you for it. Which shall it be?"

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-30-2004 at 07:44 PM.