View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #64
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thornden sat silent by Eodwine’s side, his eyes resting calmly on Manawyth, the strange Dunlending who had caused, one moment, so much tenseness, and who the next, was sat down welcome by the fire, given a free and probably much needed drink, and now cradled a fine harp in his hands. Thornden’s lips twitched with a small smile and he looked without turning his head at the Eorl. He was still confused by the sudden change of Eodwine’s behavior towards the Dunlending, but he asked no other question as he realized immediately that Eodwine’s attention had left Manawyth and gone to another person in the room, his countenance becoming less merry, and yet possibly more tender.

Thornden looked away and down briefly, but when Eodwine rose and walked away, he lifted his head and looked after him, and then past to observe who he approached. He recognized at once the young woman who had spoken to him earlier that day. She stood apart from everyone, hoping to be unnoticed, and looking a might uncomfortable at being addressed by Eodwine.

Thornden, well aware that it was not his place to watch them, turned his eyes and attention away. For a moment, he looked again at Manawyth, who was playing quietly on the harp but singing nothing yet, and then, folding his hands and resting his elbows on his knees, he lowered his head and his eyes and fell to thinking.

There hadn’t really been much time that morning to think. From the moment he had stepped in through the door until this instant, he had been preoccupied and busy, either listening, or answering someone’s questions. Now he had a moment to draw breath and consider his circumstances. And what he considered now was the position that he had somehow seemed to acquire - at least for a month. He smiled somewhat grimly to the floor and a flash of half amusement sparkled briefly in his eye. His companions had little thought what they had sent him off to achieve that morning when they told him that the new Eorl would need someone to guard his hall for him. Who would have thought that Thornden, mere guard of the King’s Hall would have stepped up in a matter of minutes to Steward of an Eorl in a Mead Hall? Few people, that’s for sure.

I wonder if I even deserve it, he thought to himself. I have had no real experience in such a thing. Sure, I have learned, but not from experience, entirely. . .except to bear arms and keep my head. But am I really fit for it? That was a question, wasn’t it? Well, he’d been given a time of trial, and when those thirty days were through, a clear decision could be made. Until then, he resolved on doing the best he could do.