View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 05:17 AM   #18
gondowe
Wight

gondowe has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil View Post
The 'relation' between Ingwe and Imin, you took is identity? Possible in that special case. But between Tata and Finwe is doubtful and Enel equvial to Elwe seems impossible since he had two brothers.

As a legend not only as written by Tolkien but even among the Elves, the Cuivienyarna can be interpreted in several ways.

As is said later (I think in Ruin of Doriath) Thingol himself tells that his life begun in Cuivienen. Of course it could be possible he was begotten in Cuivienen, but it mades me odd that the ambassadors were not "one of the most ancient people, means the Unbegotten".

If we can take as truth the sentence about Ingwe above, we can think the same about Finwe, and so I explain what I made (translated more of less):

I mentioned the name of the legend then naming that three elves awoke first and the Three Houses were derived from these elves, so they were named simply MInyar, Tatyar and Nelyar. Later when the division of the elves I relation Ingwe with the Minyar Finwe with the Tatyar, etc, with the new names deriving from this firrst division (I mean Vanyar, etc) and in the next paragraph comes the sentence above about Ingwe.
Of course it's no mention of the wives for the matter of Miriel.

And as Eru- begotten people and as the Fëanturi and Nienna for example, Elwe and Olwe (and Elmo) can be brothers in the mind of Iluvatar.

So it stays only as an interpretation of the reader.

Only in the revised and enlarged index I established identity between the characters.

I hope had explained correctly.

Greetings.

Last edited by gondowe; 03-07-2009 at 06:12 AM.
gondowe is offline   Reply With Quote