View Single Post
Old 01-14-2003, 02:20 PM   #140
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Wow, Mith! Now that's an heirloom... I'm with Sharon, I've always been a little curious about the original story "that Bilbo told the dwarves".

I just ordered an "Annotated Hobbit", but I chose slow-shipping... You'd think that that would have been in there. I'm a bit surprised that it's apparently not, since I believe Sharon does have a copy?

Welcome to the newcomers... this is great fun, to see you all weighing in, and such a very refreshingly mature tone of discussion!

A question I'm fond of asking: how has Tolkien's works affected your world view and your framework of belief? Tolkien has said that he setout to write a myth, and his concept of myth was a vehicle to let the truth shine through. Have any of you experienced that, and to what degree?

To put a completley different twist on the question, is there something from Tolkien's work that you always wished that you could do or be (maybe you role-play it even now) and what about that reflects what you want or wish for, or strive for, or pursue?

Does that reveal something about Tolkien, something about you, or both?