View Single Post
Old 01-15-2003, 01:49 AM   #145
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Yes, I do have the Annotated Hobbit. In fact, I have two--the one just out, and the earlier one from 1988. And both do contain the earlier versions of the story, which is fun.

This may make me sound looney toons, but I want the older volume for the 'feel' of it, not the intellectual content. Perhaps this is because I've taught history and worked in an archives at different times in my life. I like old things because they are old, and they have a certain aura about them. (Little men in white coats coming to carry Child away....)

Mith, Oooh! I'm green with envy. Perhaps I'll have to wait until I inherit an unexpected fortune, which is not likely to be soon!

Thank you Bird and Helen for the references. Occasionally, I have stumbled onto nice things, but no 1948 Hobbits! Nine months ago I found a first edition, first printing of The Lost Road for 5$ in a local secondhand bookstore when it was going on e-bay for up to $100. That was nice! And Abe books is sometimes helpful. I was able to replace my defunct Road to Middle-earth which I couldn't find anywhere else.

Ok, I admit it. Over the years, I've collected a thing or two. Not the good stuff, but lots of comforting junk! For LotR, I still have my 60s Ballantines in miserable shape, one soggy Ace volume, and also my second edition, 10th printing hardbacks (minus the box!), but sadly nothing older. I do have the one-volume edition from the early nineties illustrated by Lee, and more recently the red leatherbound collectors edition, also one volume.

As you can see, I like older books. In fact (cowers down in her seat), I have one whole bookcase filled with LotR stuff that I've gotten over the years. None of it would probably be worth anything with a bookdealer, but I like 'em! Criticism, fun stuff, even coloring books and older calendars. I have a plethora of Hobbits in particular, but none of them are that old. Oh, yeah, I still do have a couple of those crazy 'sixties pins like Gandalf for President and Frodo Lives plus the Bodleian Library posters of Taniquetil (my favorite) and Bilbo on the barrels.

It's amazing the kind of stuff one collects in a lifetime. My Tolkien bookcase happily coexists with one my husband has that is filled with Brooklyn Dodger things. So we have a very ecumenical household.