View Single Post
Old 01-15-2003, 08:52 AM   #146
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Samwise and Rae, thanks! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Sharon-- I wish I hadn't purged all my old stuff. I had some way cool posters. THe one I miss the most (because I saw it at ebay and it was too much!) is the map of Middle-Earth with the poster (the original ballantine covers that Tolkien hated with the Emus and pink eggplants on the tree) wrapped around it as a border. That's the poster I used to stare at (endlessly) and imagine visiting the Blue Mountains, and the unexplored (by me, so far) edges of Gondor and Rohan, and the upper vales of the Misty Mountains, and Lake Evendim (yes!) and The Tower Hills and of course Mithlond and Forlond and Harlond and.... oh, all those places that he didn't tell us about. Elves must hide there, or hobbits, or perhaps some good Numenorean descendants...

Yeah, the old stuff is fun. I know what you mean about old books. I have my great-great-(great?)- grandfather's bible, and his autobiography (wonderful man, can't wait to meet him) and I love skimming through his bible, wondering what he thought of as he read the page I'm on. But mostly it sits on the shelf and reminds me of him.

For a while on ebay I resisted the temptation to bid on the old poster-cover ballantine edition, precisely because Tolkien was so irritated with the emus and eggplants, but finally I did buy a set-- because my older siblings had those volumes kicking around, and I remember them. Memory lane.

Maybe that's why The Cottage of Lost Play yanks at us so. (Sharon, I miss seeing it in your sig.)