View Single Post
Old 05-11-2003, 04:50 PM   #167
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Quote:
Dragons are mortal creations of Morgoth
As I'm sure you noted above, there is some dissension over that particular issue.

Quote:
No such thing happened to Smaug.
Prove it.

Quote:
Also, the dragons would be incapable of battling the Balrogs, as they were lesser servants of Morgoth. I use the term "lesser" rather loosely, but the Balrog could simply order a dragon about.
Again, as noted above there, is some dissension over which was "lesser."

As for Balrogs ordering Dragons about, we have examples of both.

Quote:
In front of the fire came Glaurung the golden, father of dragons, in his full might; and in his train were Balrogs...
-from "Of the Ruin of Beleriand"
Balrogs were in Glaurung's train (meaning they were assigned to follow and obey him.)

Obviously Gothmog commanded Dragons at the Fall of Gondolin.

So, we have examples of both.

Quote:
Lastly, what kind of Dragon?
I believe that the direction of the discussion tended toward the Great Dragons, and not those of lesser brood.

Quote:
Besides, the balrogs never leave their bodies, or at least it isn't mentioned. I think this means they were sort of incarnated, like the istari, and therefore can be killed. I'm pretty much sure the fall from Zirak-Zigil was Durin's bane's last fall.
You are correct.

[ May 12, 2003: Message edited by: Kuruharan ]