View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #512
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Gaiman does not write epic fantasy in the Tolkienian sense, but explores ideas & themes from myth, folklore, contemporary fiction, modern culture. His stories take place on the borderland between, if you like the personal & the Collective unconscious.
I suppose it all depends on how one interprets 'epic.' This might be true for most of Gaiman's work, but I wonder if Stardust isn't more traditionally fantasy a la Tolkien.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
Does fantasy involve a major reimagining of language, so that it is not merely descriptive of a different reality but actually implies that reality? Or is this simply a feature of the masters of the genre? (if I'm making much sense here)
Its the 'Green Sun' thing, I suppose....
So then both Fantasy and Science Fiction partake of this same incantatory Green Sun. Do the two part in the "satisfaction of primordal human desires"?