View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #79
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Okay, time to respond to you silly unbelievers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
And since we're dealing with such a show off, don't you think that if the ropes could be untied magically he would've done so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardamir
I am not that sure about this. Something tells me that the Elves would not have been so willing to show their magic explicitly.
Why? Elves don't consider their "magic" to be magic, do they? The things that we would call "magical" about them are simply natural abilities, the way walking and talking are for us.

And as I've already pointed out, Haldir quite obviously had no qualms about displaying his "magic" (the stunt on the rope).

If Lorien ropes could untie themselves in response to mental commands, Haldir would've done it.

That's the way it is. End of story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin
So there’s nothing in the Letters, nothing in the drafts, and nothing in the notes about the stump being an Entwife; in fact, Tolkien says on at least two separate occasions that he does not believe they will ever be found.
By us, or the Ents? There's a significant difference.

(Ah, I see that Sardy has also raised this point.)

You can claim that Tolkien shut the door on the matter, but by no means did he slam it shut and lock it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
There was no need for the rope to be saved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardamir
They did have use of the rope later on, actually almost immediately afterwards - they tied Gollum with it.
Yeah, for what- about five seconds? Wow, that rope sure came in handy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin
The dangling rope was a means not only for Gollum to more easily follow them, but for him and any other pursuit – orcs or Nazgűl – to determine that the trail was hot.
Gollum found them anyway, without help from the rope. So don't name Gollum as a convincing reason.

As far as the off chance that an orc or Nazgul would find one single little rope in the middle of a huge wilderness, what's the big deal? What- do you think the Nazgul would think "Oh no! An elven rope! The One Ring must be close!" Obviously not. At the most, the Nazgul would think "Hmm... an elven rope. I wonder if some elf is trying to spy out our movements." Plus there would be no way to tell exactly how long the rope had been there.

Leaving the rope there on the cliff would most likely result in zero penalty for Sam and Frodo. So why not leave it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS
I agree with those above who mentioned the idea that magic is linked in some mysterious way to divine Providence or intervention. It is fundamentally unpredictable and arises chiefly at need...
The rope was a waste of divine intervention, if you ask me. There was no "need".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothbogg
I honestly believe that the Entwives do not exist.
Oh, and next you'll be telling us that you don't believe that Elves and Dwarves exist either, and that Tolkien just made all of this stuff up, and that his books should be placed in the Fantasy/Sci-Fi section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM
I am afraid, phantom, that I do not find your proposition convincing in the least. In a fantasy world like Middle-earth, I have no difficulty in believing that an Elven rope could “magically” untie itself if truly willed to do so by its bearer.
Yeah, and you're also the guy who believes he was just as good a reader when he was five years old as he is now.

Anyway, I'm sorry everyone, but you have not convinced me. And that, of course, makes you wrong.

Until JRRT himself posts on this thread and tells me I'm otherwise, I have found the Entwives.

Deal with it lads.
Quote:
rescue a cat from a tree
That hardly sounds like a worthy and beneficial venture.

Tossing a cat up into a tree however......