View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #31
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Cross posting with Aiwendil. (I never thought that this would happen!)

Do we real have on single text of the Narn that has in it Gelmir son of Guilin and Gelmir companion of Arminas? I don't think so. But still the point has some wight looking into the Grey Annals, were the encounter of Túrin with Arminas and Gelmir originates. But still in that text it is a rider made later then the main body of the text in which Arminas and Gelmir come to Nargothrond.
The impresion from what we have of these notes and plot synposes is that Faramir was a later replacement probably oferlook when the typescript of the coming to Nargothrond was made.

I agree in pricipal that the reuse of names inside the elvish race was not very stricly followed. (Also it is not only Legolas who is one and the same in my oppion, we also sufficient hints that Galdor of the Havens was one and the same Galdor of the Tree, Lord of Gondolin.) A connextion between Gelmir co of Arminas and Gemil son of Guilin would be strange in my oppion. Wouldn't Gelmir visit his kin Gwindor and or Guilin who are prominent in the tale? Such a detail could of course be lost, but stil it seems unlikely to me. And for a simple coincidence they are not fare enough seperated for my feeling. Even so Gelmir co of Arminas had none, Guilin and his family had some high reputation about the Elves of Finrafins house.

All over I think it is safer to replace Gelmir by Faramir.

Your doubts about the companiens of Earendil have more wight. I have to look into some sources and consider this a bit longer before giving some appropirate answere.
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote