View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #168
Ben K.
Newly Deceased

Ben K. has just left Hobbiton.
Yeah, I watched it a second time too. Wanted to experience HFR (did 2D the original time) since I have my doubts we'll see anyone else doing it anytime soon, but my AUJ virgin companion insisted on regular 2D. Theatre was still full at this point in the run and the movie got an ovation afterwards (which didn't happen on my first viewing on opening day, just overheard some disgruntled comments about dragon-teasing). In all honesty, I think this trilogy may be better received by the casual viewer than LOTR - if the after-movie reactions of the casual crowd and the LOTR fanboys is anything to compare.

I enjoyed it a lot more the second time around. I appreciated the childish nature of many scenes, Bilbo's character arc and thought things were set up well for the trilogy. Bilbo's betrayal of Thorin, Throrin's self delusion and Fili and Kili's deaths will pay off in the end barring some major missteps. Action scenes remain the only thing I would cut down on.

My only apprehension is the third movie and a potential two hour Battle of Five Armies.
Ben K. is offline   Reply With Quote