View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigūr View Post
I was going to post this in the ongoing film thread but I thought I'd start a new one so that people don't think it's just me moaning about the film (although I'll still do that a bit anyway). So for anyone interested, here's a scene to be included in the Extended Edition of the film, featuring a brief conversation between Bilbo and Elrond:
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/the-hobbi...065952595.html
We can see a small reference to Frodo's conversation with Gildor from The Lord of the Rings, perpetuating the filmmakers' apparent belief that bits from Tolkien can be rearranged in any order and still make sense.

While this scene is still, in my opinion, far from perfect (even in more dignified moments I find Boyens and Walsh to be clumsy scriptwriters) I still think I would have appreciated more quiet scenes like this rather than all the breathless action that made the Theatrical Cut. The fact that we saw so little of Bilbo in Rivendell was, in my opinion, one of the film's more serious flaws (along with, of course, the characterisation of Thorin, the pointlessness of the White Council plot, including Radagast and, put simply, Azog).
I like this scene and if I thought that it was typical I might be more enthusiastic. The scaling still looks off to me but it showsm genuine affection between Elrond and Bilbo and contains some proper Tolkien.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote