View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 10:44 AM   #530
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
I did notice that in England the language is still very latinized compared to in the U.S. However, what you call tortured and brutalized betrays certain biases against culture groups that don't deserve it, such as Native, and African American. And if you are indeed a proponent of word creation within the English language, I don't know how you can square that with the contention that English is a dead language. It don't make sense! (and if you presume to correct the grammar of that last sentence, it figures, considering that you agitate for English being dead.)
Au contraire the poet who is little, the destruction of English in the US is not being carried forward by Black American, Latinos or any of the other "minority" groups there -- it is being perpetrated by the oligarchs who run that benighted land. Two examples shall suffice:

1) The tendency to talk about people and human relations in corporate terms -- people "self-actualising" or groups "negotiating their position" relative to each other; "prioritizing" your life and taking your children out to their "play-group" for some "directed quality time", etc...

2) The insistence by government on making up simple terms with which to encapsulate complex ideas and issues: "weapons of mass destruction" (the bad things other people have, unlike the biological/chemical/nuclear arsenal we have); "insurgents" (not rebels); "homeland security"; "the war on terror"; "the war on drugs"; and on and on and on....

It would be so refreshing, and more than a little honest, to see President Bush stand up in front of the microphone and declare, "Me and my dogs is gonna pop a cap up the *** of any ******-****** who comes rock our crib! Gonna air out their *** with some kick-*** hardware, y'hear!"

Oh...to get back on topic:

I conassign to Mordor anyone who uses more than two acronyms in the same sentence.