View Single Post
Old 01-29-2005, 11:38 PM   #320
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ráma speaks to the Elders....

By the time Ráma and her sister arrived, a large number of the Eagles were already present and waiting for the meeting to start. Several of those visiting from outside the clan had also come, standing in a cluster on the fringes of the crowd. Even Sorona had found a perch on top of one of the water barrels, a spot that was close enough for her to hear what was going on. Earlier that morning, most of the Eagles had learned of the impending marriage between Narika and Thorne, and the fact that these two young maenwaith would soon become the leaders of the clan. This news had met with widespread approval.

An hour before, the Elders had broken off their discussions to retire to their individual tents for the noonday meal, but had now returned. They squatted or sat on small woven rugs, forming an inner circle around the clan's communal firepit. Everyone else, including Ráma, stood outside this inner core, part of a broader circle that fanned out in all directions.

Thorne and his bride had been invited to sit with the Elders in recognition of their new positions and authority; the eldest of the Council sat directly opposite them. This was to symbolize that no action could be taken, no declaration of war issued, unless the leaders of the clan and the Elders could reach consensus on what should be done.

When the chief elder came to the fore, he explained that there had been continuing discussion about Wyrma, but no agreement had been reached. The conversation was thrown open to all in attendance, both Elders and general clan members. The dispute quickly picked up from where it had left that morning. Many of the Elders urged caution, noting that it was the traditional maenwaith way to avoid bloodshed and to protect themselves by subterfuge rather than direct assault. Some suggested that the clan withdraw from its present location and pull back further from Umbar and the city in the north that Wyrma was building. Perhaps, the safest thing to do was to pack everything up and trek far south and west, out of Wyrma's watchful eye.

Others disputed this point with vigor, claiming that Wyrma's reach was such that wherever the Eagles might fly, they would still be in danger. Wyrma could simply send out swift flying dragons to locate them and launch a surprise attack. Plus, how could the Eagles turn a blind eye to the plight of their fellow maenwaith ? Wyrma had herded hundreds of their kin into her walled encampment. Who knew which maenwaith would be next, or whether she would adopt even more draconian measures?

It was at this point that Thorne stood up and asked that Ráma be allowed to come before them, explaining that she had been the last to speak with Ayar shortly before the latter had died. The Council members gave their consent to this, as they had earlier agreed. Ráma quietly walked forward and stood in front of the Elders, first bowing to them. Then she began to talk. She spoke as if she was visiting with friends in the privacy of her tent, rather than addressing a large public meeting.

"We all know what my mother was like. Her entire life, she sought to live in peace and to teach the ways of peace to the young ones in our clan whom she cherished with her heart. Even when when my father's life was cut short by violence, she counselled us to hold our anger. She was a patient woman who was willing to wait because she believed that the path of peace was the best one that the Eagles could follow."

Ráma drew a breath and glanced around the group, surprised that they were listening so intently. She was not used to speaking in public, but these were people whom she had known her whole life. Then she continued on.

"Yet, even though my mother loved the path of peace, she knew that sometimes we are asked to walk a different road. When evil comes and stares us in the face, we can not turn away. Mother understood this. She saw Wyrma for what she really was: a maenwaith who thinks her way is the only way of doing things, who wishes to push that way onto all our people, whether they want it or not. It is one thing to build a city and invite those who wish to go and live there. It is another thing to force people to change their lives in ways they do not want."

"And where does the pushing end? My mother's death was no accident. She never spoke of it , but she knew and understood. Wyrma had her killed because the leader of the Eagle clan would not go along with her plans. It will not stop with my mother. Each of us is in danger. No one knows who is next. No one knows what pretext she may use to swoop down and try to eliminate us all."

To strike against another maenwaith is a sad, sad thing, but we have no choice. Ayar told me to speak with the Elders and with everyone in the clan, to ask them to rouse the other tribes and to take a stand against Wyrma and her ilk. Nor should we turn aside from those who are willing to help us. Already one of the outsiders has come and spoken with me. He has given his promise to join in this resistence. If we are fortunate, there may be others. It is time to take a stand: the Eagles, those clans who, like us, hate what Wyrma does, and even those of our friends from outside who would not see the cause of evil triumph. This was my mother's wish. It is also the wish of myself and my sister, and of Thorne. Can we not join together and do this thing? We have the strength for such an enterprise. We must only gain the will."

With that, Ráma went and sat beside her sister, waiting for others to respond.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 02-01-2005 at 01:19 AM.