View Single Post
Old 10-21-2006, 11:28 PM   #565
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dūm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
Well from what I remember (I really must read it again, I picked it up and read a chapter a few weeks ago but had to lay it to one side as I was in the middle of something else) there wasn't all that much description either! Funnily enough I found the first book the best - not all of them had even been published when I read it (think it was only a trilogy?). But Ursula Le Guin seems to go more for getting into the heads of characters. I liked the way it was a lot darker than LotR though - you need contrasts like that - darker books and more hopeful stories.

Now I'd recommend Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell to anyone. A mad mixture of dark faerie, the Napoleonic wars and all served up in an Austen/Dickens style. With footnotes. A slow building story, you won't be able to put it down as you hit the final third part. The Penguin Don Quixote is a good translation anyway so davem says - he read it last year.

Also I opened up my copy of The Ladies Of Grace Adieu earlier (it was sealed in plastic) and was pleasantly surprised to find its full of fab Charles Vess illustrations.
As far as I know it, there are four Earthsea stories in the compilation (The Earthsea Quartet, Penguin Books 1993 edition) that I bought.

The Wizard of Earthsea
The Tombs of Atuan
The Farthest Shore
Tehanu

I have finished the first story and am into the third chapter of the second. Suffice to say I am starting to like Arha the High Priestess of the Nameless Ones very much for she strikes me as more "human' than Ged. I liked her vulnerability, her loneliness, haughtiness and shockingly yes, even her nonchalance in giving death or life. The description of the tombs and the ritual of seance with the Old Gods was also highly agreeable with yours truly.

So it is settled! The book about English magiks immediately after the book on a wayward insane Spaniard. Thank you for your recommendation.

I have read the illustrated Stardust that was illustrated by Charles Vess. IMO one of the best graphic novels for the pictures conveyed atmosphere and moods that the words cannot. Oddly, I like to read that book whilst listening to Kate Bush's The Dreaming. So I will keep in mind The Ladies of Grace Adieu whenever I head into the bookshops.

I have a feeling that my free time for the rest of this year would be spent very fruitfully.