View Single Post
Old 07-07-2004, 02:43 AM   #471
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Her blue eyes were on him, as they had been so many times before. But this time the past did not rise up and cloud them. They were clear and the fair light of hope glinted from them. Hope and something else he recognized. She stood near the man at her side. Her fingers entwined with his.

‘You remember Falowik?’

‘Of course, m’Lady,’ Derufin said, smiles wreathing his face at this welcome reunion with Uien. He clapped Falowik on the shoulder, his eyes taking the man’s measure. ‘My pleasure, Falowik. It is good to have you back safe from your recent journey.’ Derufin turned back to Uien and drew her closer, her small slender hands grasped in his.

‘You look beautiful, little one. You have found some peace, I think,’ he said in a low voice bending near her ear. She colored prettily, golden strands of hair brushing across her cheeks as she dipped her head forward. ‘And so have I,’ he went on, the fingers of his right hand raising her chin up. His clear grey eyes sought hers, laughing. Zimziran had drawn near at his beckoning gesture. His fingers found hers as he spoke of her to Uien.

Buttercup passed through the little group in the kitchen with a further round of wine. Another toast was made in celebration of friends well met once again. As those in the kitchen sipped at their wine, Derufin whispered softly to Uien who stood near. ‘The past no longer holds us in its sway, I think. The shadow has lifted and is powerless to harm us.’ He raised his glass slightly to her. ‘Or so is my hope . . .’