View Single Post
Old 01-30-2003, 02:28 PM   #342
Lumiel

Lumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lumiel pressed her eyebrows together as she listened to Farrehn's sad story. She said nothing, listening almost ravenously to the tale. When Farrehn brought out her blade, or at least a part of it, she looked at it and felt almost like a dark shadow was on her head, but it seemed to be controlled and restrained, by Farrehn's will she guessed. When Farrehn finished her tale, Lumiel spoke.

"You have lived a hard life, harder than mine, and longer too, I think from what I have heard. I could not pity you, Farrehn, looking at you now drives out any thought of it. You are a strong person, stronger than most I have met, though those are few and far between. But I cannot help but feel some sorrow for your story, though that part is over.

For myself, well, I was born to high elven parents, though I know nothing of them except blurred memories and the name Rovalhir. But I do know that I was raised as a child by them.

They were leaving for the Grey Havens, when I was but a child, and I was to go with them. They had lived alone, but kept in contact with their elven kin, and had arranged to meet them at the port where the ship was docked until they left. My mother, father, and myself left our small sylvan home and headed out for the ship.

It was a long journey, and a sad one it proved. We were about 3/4 of the way to our destination, when we were ambushed by orcs. My father fought bravely, but was overpowered and mercilessly killed. My mother tried to escape with me. Unfortunately, she did not get far before we were both surrounded, and she died like my father, protecting me. I was terrified, I thought I was going to die. I cried, I begged them for mercy. I was only a child, but I am ashamed of what I did.

They spared me my life, and took me captive. I know that my elven kin did come to search for me and my parents when we did not arrive, but they found only my parents' body, and no trace of me. They gave up hope, the orcs' trail had long gone cold by then and they left me for dead.

I was the orcs' prisoner for several months. At first I feared that they would eat me, or perhaps sell me as a slave. I was afraid of so many things happening. Instead, I was their entertainment. They would toy with me, make me grovel for a piece of maggoty bread or a mouthful of their horrid brew. I had no choice but to do as they said, whatever it was that they wanted. During those months of torture, I forgot almost all of my past, and seemed to know only my life with the orcs.

Finally, I was rescued. The large orc band had split up, and I was with a small group of about 15 orcs. One dark, moonless night, we were attacked by a lone man, though in the dark he loomed high above me like some dark shadow demon. He grabbed me, and I screamed, waking up the orcs, and he had to fight them. He slew every one of them, leaving them to die in their own filthy blood.

He took me away to his home, but at the time I didn't know that he meant to help me. I kicked and screamed, but I was in no condition to fight. Finally, when the sun crested with the dawn, I saw that he was a man, though his visage was scarred and twisted. His name was Farrin and he was a Black Numenorian. He took care of me, he healed me, and he helped me recover from my ordeal.

After a few months, I felt as good as new, but I did not want to leave, for I felt I had nothing ot go back to, and I was afraid of what might happen if I did. So he took me in and raised me. He taught me the ways of the land, and how to fight. I have never known a better swordsman than Farrin. He told me of my elven heritage and language which I had forgotten. But, as I am immortal, and he is mortal, though a Numenorian, he grew old. I had grown up in my time with him, and he had become my father and mother.

Before he died, he told me the truth about himself, about his black past. He had betrayed his people, and had been exiled under threat of death by Aragorn himself. He had been following the band of orcs through his home of exile, and noticed an elven girl, me, among them. He thought that if he rescued me, he could use me to gain access to the world once more. At first his intent had only been to use me, but he grew to love me like his own daughter, and I pretty much was.

He died shortly after, but told me to do two things for him. One, to clear his name to his people, and two, to find my kin. He gave me his sword, and I set out shortly after, and have since arrived here. I seem to know very little of the world, having been raised in isolation both by my parents and Farrin. I'm still a little shaky around people, mostly elves, but I'm getting over it. Sorry my story was a bit long winded...."

Lumiel gave a small, quirky smile, somewhat embarassed by how much she had spoken. She didn't think that she had done that before in her life! Her throat felt dry, and she wondered if Farrehn felt the same.

"Farrehn, can I buy you a drink perhaps?"