View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 08:15 PM   #276
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
"Yes, Garstan! You had a question! Put it to me!"

Eodwine's sudden command was a relief to Garstan. Saeryn's arm in Eodwine's made him uncomfortable. As it did Eodwine, or so Garstan suspected from the furtive glances he directed at passers by. On second thought, it wasn't the joined arms that disturbed him as much as the vague uneasiness he detected in Eodwine. Garstan welcomed the invitation to pose his question.

"Well, my lord. I was thinking. While the wall is down, might it be wise to move the kitchen back a bit from the main hall? With all the cooking and flame in the kitchen, it makes the Great Hall over warm in summer, I'm sure. And too, should the kitchen take fire, it would spread quickly to the rest of the hall as things are. So I've seen it before where the kitchen was separated a bit. Moved away by a hall. What do you think?"

Garstan watched Eodwine's face, trying to detect his reaction to the plan. It had been a bold step. This was Garstan's first time suggesting an idea of his own to an employer, and an important one at that. He hoped that the idea would be well received, not least because he genuinely liked and respected Eodwine. But the thoughtful gaze in his eyes was unreadable to Garstan.