View Single Post
Old 10-07-2002, 01:45 PM   #173
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

**** Harad/Umbar - Gramil ****

Gramil nearly laughed. Jarl thinks I know where the king has gone? Until yesterday Gramil hadn't even known the king had gone, and took quite a ribbing from his friends for it, too. Though certainly he could find out where the king went easily enough. And he would make it his business to know, true.

But this was a strategic, military question, unusual from a trader. Gramil was not a suspicious man, but every Harad child was taught about their oppressors from the cradle. Jarl and Garlin both looked like men of Gondor to the Harad. Gramil began to wonder about their guest, examining him with a quick penetrating glance. He didn't have a military bearing, though certainly there were those trained in secret service who were as unpreposessing. He didn't walk like a fighter, and was sitting now with his back to the door. Gramil had noted most of the king's spies never did so. Jarl did know his trade, that Gramil had learned. But he would bear watching. Dale had no imperialist history like Gondor, surely they had no army that could withstand Harad, but Gramil was suddenly unsure of their intentions. Gramil spoke openly, seeing no point in denying what Jarl already knew.

"The king goes where he will. He is the king. Where? I don't know," Gramil shrugged and spread his hands, "but why is Dale interested?"

[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]