View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 07:34 AM   #15
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Leaf

Hello there new Inn--meister and new Inn-mates

I toyed with the idea of burning down the old White Horse Inn after Bethberry left, to leave the place open for lmp to set up his mead hall as he wishes, but decided to leave things for him to work out.

You could, of course, have the fire, and that would allow you to redo completely the physical layout the way you envision it. Also provide some initial requirements for action. (The Horse did have a fire once, though, in the stables, so maybe that is a bit repetitive. Yet a town built of wood and thatch...)

One aspect of the Rohirrim which has never seemed very Anglo-Saxon (or Viking) to me is the horse-rearing and the wide grasslands. I have always read those traits as pertaining to Tolkien's rough geographical layout of Middle-earth, which would put Rohan in the same tradition as the cosssacks of south eastern Europe. (Well, okay, I know the Kievian Rus was founded by Vikings. )

Expect Ruthven when she's least expected!