View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #203
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The turn of the screw....

Sorry for my lateness in replying - started a new work assignment at short notice which broke my chain of thought!!!

Three words sum up this episode for me transition, tension and tantilising... I am no chess player but it feels like the players are moving in to position for the endgame.

It is a very dark episode because although the Ents are roused and Theoden healed - both vital for the eventual victory - as Gandalf says they win through one
challenge to face the next... also as has been pointed out there is Frodo's resignation to his fate. The burden is getting heavier but he is still coping. For me one of the great triumphs of the adaptation is the handling of the Frodo, Sam, Gollum part of the story which is not my favourite part of the book.

The casting is perfect and I think it works very well on radio. Holm's voice conveys so well the horror of the Dead Marshes - and I liked the fact that the same music was used for the Dead Marshes as the Paths of the Dead - then there is the fine balance of the relationships between the three which reminds me at times of Sartre's "Huis clos". Gollum is teetering between the animal and the human and so fine poised is the balance that it starts to seem tragic that Gollum overhears Sam's "Dratted Creature! " but not the "poor wretch!".

Eomer and Aragorn having started the episode as beggar and "outlaw" are very much kings in waiting by the end. I do understand that it must have made sense not to have Galadriel go to Minas Tirith for the wedding but it does mean that we lose one of those fab Eomer / Gimli exchanges... but nevermind. However we do get the orc slaying contest - which does help with the battle scene but I never understand how and elf archer could possibly lose given that A first rate English archer, who, in a single minute was unable to draw and discharge his bow 12 times, with a range of 240 yards, and who in these twelve shots once missed his man, was very lightly esteemed. Legolas should have made Gimli's score within five minutes but that is not the fault of the adaptation!

It was only when I saw the musical (which combines Gondor and Rohan) that I fully appreciated the parralels between the two - both have an aging ruler under a malign influence, the heir has been lost and the "spare" is estranged to a degree - Eomer is seen in the light of a traitor as Faramir will be accused of being a wizard's pupil.

Eowyn is the only major character introduced and while she says nothing of significance we learn that she is brave and loved by her people as well as her kin.

Gah sorry about this I will try and tidy it later ...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote