View Single Post
Old 05-22-2004, 05:30 PM   #141
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
well, well

Dear Evisse, you thanked me in Russian (which is quite pleasing effort on your behalf, thank you ), so I assumed that, maybe, like so many other worthy and honest people, you believe we of former Soviet Union all speak Russian and use Cyrillic alphabets. Yet that is not so, not the least!

With the high and noble purpose of enlightenment and education in mind, I have given you example of what Georgian looks and sounds like, and, in case your browser does not support Georgian encoding (which, I suspect, would be the case, so you will probably see meaningless characters instead of aesthetically pleasing Georgian letters) I provided you and all passing by who may find themselves interested, with the font itself. It is modified to go with the latin typeset of the PC keyboard, so you can install it (unless you do not work on MAC) and amuse yourself (just like I do sometimes typing something with tengwar, which, I have to confess, I never learned and can not read, unless the same text in English is not placed before my very eyes)

Furthermore it is to be added that said alphabet is one of existing fourteen independently created, and is not related neither to Cyrillic or Latin, nor even Greek, but, allegedly, proceeds directly from Phoenecian, is rumored to be created in 4th century BC by first King of united Georgian realm (prior to that having two realms which said king, according to legend, has united after fighting off remnants of Alexander the Great's garrisons), Pharnavazi, which can not be proven, since written samples discovered so far are no older than 4th century AD. Probably it had some influence from and given some influence to Armenian, (though languages are not related whatsover), which was created sometime around 4th AD by monk under the name of Mesrop Mashrotz (spelling in English being unknown to yours truly, subject to 'sp?'), though Armenian claim of said monk creating it alongside their own is to be rejected, since it is untrue and groundless.

One way or another, it is one of the oldest written languages, which is an issue we down here find ourselves very proud of.

Ah, almost forgot - Georgian word for 'thank you' is madloba.

so, didi madloba for trying to please me with спасибо , I appreciate the effort

as for the quote, alas, I have no idea , than...

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 05-24-2004 at 12:20 AM.
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote