View Single Post
Old 07-13-2003, 05:19 AM   #25
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Hmmm... I didn't exactly answer Morquesse's questions. I better rectify that.

Quote:
How did you decide that you wanted to write fantasy?
Back in '86 I couldn't find the kind of fantasy I wanted to read, so I decided to write my own. I didn't think it would take this long to be halfway through my first novel! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Quote:
What kind do you write?
I write "transition" fantasy; that's a term coined by Nar in the old "AYWSF" thread. It means that my protag starts out in our modern world and leaves it to go to the faerie realm. So it's part high fantasy and part modern fairy tale, I guess.

Oh! The other category besides transition fantasy is "immersion" - which is when your protag starts out in the world you've created. That's what LotR is.

So - are you writing transition or immersion fantasy?

Quote:
Has Tolkien influenced your writing? If so, how?
Heck, Tolkien has influenced my entire life! I was introduced to The Hobbit when I was 8, and finished LotR by the time I was 14. LotR and Middle Earth had a powerful impact on how I see the world. For example, when I was a little kid I was brought up to be very patriotic, but by the time I was 12 I loved Middle Earth instead of my own country. (Watergate and Vietnam didn't help either, but that's another story).

More to the point, does Tolkien influence my writing? Yes. Since he influences my entire outlook, how could he not?

So are you writing transition fantasy or immersion fantasy? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote