View Single Post
Old 10-13-2002, 10:39 AM   #212
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The Elf's face was grave as she considered the request. 'So be it.' she said simply, holding Loremaster's gaze with her own.

'They will come. The Man with Nitir and Azra. I also will return. Look for Levanto to bring word of it. 'Until then, hold fast to your hope.'

She stood, then, and asked that Bird take her back to the river. The night had grown late, her friend would be worrying about her return. She bade him fare well, and hurried out into the night with Bird on her shoulder.

'So, who's waitng? Not Mithadan, surely.' 'No.' replied Pio, 'It's Kali. He is waiting near the mouth of the river with a skiff. I must hurry back to him, before he forgets his resolve and comes looking for me.'

'Let me help you.' said Bird. 'You can cover the distance more quickly if you'll swim with me.' She entered the water, changing into dolphin form. Pio held tight to her dorsal fin and they sped down the river. Bird took her to where Kali still waited and saw her safely into the skiff. 'Thank you!' said Pio, wrapping her cloak about her. 'I'm so tired, I don't know that I could have made it back so easily.'

Kali took the towline and headed the skiff back toward the Star. Bird swam with him, helping to move the craft along, until they had cleared the bay. Pio was asleep,lying curled in the bottom of the skiff, and Bird did not wake her as she left. 'Get her back safely.' she told the hobbrim. He nodded his assent and swam on.

It was late morning when they reached the Star. Kali woke Pio, and they both climbed aboard, going their separate ways to rest.

[ October 13, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]