View Single Post
Old 10-16-2002, 12:03 AM   #226
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami smiled calmly at her friend and acknowledged the question. "No, my place is inside the prison. Not on the outside. Every one of us has something to contribute, and what I do best must be done there. The same is true for Rose."

"And what is that?" Piosenniel asked.

"Just to be there, to set an example. Some of the hobbits are truly frightened. They've spent their whole lives learning how to obey, to keep silent and not fight back. Now suddenly we've asked them to change. That wouldn't be easy for anyone."

"They've also heard about Nitir and Azra for years on end, and how we won our way to the highlands of Beleriand. Perhaps it would help if they understood Rose and I weren't six-foot warriors, but that we were willing to fight as best we could. Hobbits have to believe they can stand up and defend their families. Such lessons come easier from us than from yourself or Pio. And at least Rose has some training with the sword."

Mithadan shook his head, "But, Cami, you're not prepared to carry a weapon. How do you expect to survive?"

"You misunderstood me. What I said was that you'd be foolish to place a sword in my hands because I don't have the training or skill. I think few hobbits will have such weapons. I'm certainly willing to carry my bow, although I suspect most of the fighting will be in close quarters. I'll tuck a dagger or two into my belt, and if you can get me something light like a mining pick or a fishing lance, I'll have no hesitation to use it as best I can.

"Remember I was in the battle of Gondolin. And, when I had to, I killed an Orc. Yes, I'll be afraid, but I won't be so afraid that I can't fight. I'll admit, I'd rather battle an Orc than a man for all kinds of reasons, but this time we have no choice."

[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]