View Single Post
Old 10-17-2002, 09:23 PM   #231
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan looked down for a moment pondering Pio's question. Then he looked up and his face was wan. "Truly, I do not know," he answered. "But I believe...I must believe that we would not have been sent here if there were no chance of success. Don't you?"

Piosenniel looked up at the stars burning brightly above. "I think so," she replied. "And yet I worry. For you, for my friends and for myself. And I wonder if I will live past that fateful day."

Mithadan laughed. "Now you are getting maudlin. This is not the Pio that I know. Of course you will live! Even if you ride on the first ship!"

Pio's eyes narrowed a bit. "Mithadan, you speak with too much certainty, as if you have seen the future. How could you know this?"

The Man fell silent, and he looked away from the Elf. "Mithadan?" she repeated. He turned back and faced her. "He came to me. Perhaps I summoned Him somehow, with my worry and concern. He came, the Lord of the Waters."

"When was this?" asked Piosenniel.

"A few days ago, after you asked to be on the first Ship. In my sleep He came and said the Teleri come and they are skilled with bows but are not warriors. But he said also that Tuor and Idril come and they bring some few of the Noldor who are willing to yet oppose the darkness with arms. Not many but some."

Mithadan looked out towards the West as if seeking to pierce the night and see some sign of the Elven ships. He continued. "I told him I was concerned. I feared bringing so many ships up the Siril and that I feared for you who had become precious to me. And He said: 'Thy entry unto the river and thy travel there shall be under my protection for my power runs through all the rivers of the world. But once thou enter the tombs and caves, thou wilst have gone beyond the reach of my mantle and all the skills and the resolve of thee and thine friends will be tested. But thy efforts will be for naught if the Elf Piosenniel takes not her proper place at the forefront, and if she does so she will be safe and thine efforts may yet succeed.'" Then Mithadan fell silent and looked away.

"Then we may succeed!" cried Piosenniel gladly. But Mithadan remained silent and did not met his wife's eyes. "Mithadan? Did he say more?"

The Man closed his eyes and shook his head, but his face misgave him. "What else did he say?" insisted the Elf.

Mithadan looked up, and a cloud seemed to cover his features. In a deep voice he continued. "He said 'But know this also, Child of Man! I fear for thee, for thy fate is obscured and a mist covers thy steps into the caverns. Take care. I would bid thee not to go with thy comrades and yet I know that this is not thy will. Take care lest the trail of thy footsteps enters the tombs and exits not!'"

Piosenniel staggered as if from a blow. "You will not go!" she cried. "You will stay behind! You must heed his warning!"

Mithadan looked into her eyes and without words, she knew his answer. "You cannot!" she cried, and tears fell from her eyes. "You cannot!" And her voice fell to a whisper. "No!"

He took her into his arms and kissed away her tears. "I must go," he said quietly. "You know this. I am needed...and I will take care."

Piosenniel rubbed her eyes, then looked at Mithadan defiantly. "Then I will go also! Into the caverns. To protect you!"

"Not to protect me," he replied. "To rescue those who need our aid. Yes, you will go also, but not to protect me. I will protect myself; only I can do so. You will go for the sake of Cami and Rose and Daisy and their kin. Swear this to me! That when you enter the caverns you will always look forward to where you are going and not to the side towards me. I will not have you hurt out of hesitation or fear for me. You must be Piosenniel the fearless as you once were and not be shackled by concern for Mithadan."