View Single Post
Old 01-02-2003, 06:36 PM   #28
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
White-Hand

Estel the Descender's first post

A rider rode up Edoras on his way to Meduseld with disturbing news to Théoden King: Théodred's company had discovered the presence of Easterlings on the east bank of the Entwash. The rider had riden full speed along the road from the Entwade all night and had just arrived dawn. Leaving all his weapons by the doorway, he hurriedly walked up to the dais where the king sat. Théoden seemed to be awake for some time now. The riser bowed low.

'Arise, Béowulf sister-son,' said the king, 'What news from my son?'

'My king,' began Béowulf, 'I regret to inform you of the presence of strangers upon the east bank of Entwash. . .'

'Easterlings?' said Théoden.

'Aye, my liege,' answered Béowulf, 'But how did you know?'

'A bunch of thieves stole horses from the stables of the White Horse ere ye came,' said the king, 'Already a posse has gone in pursuit of the robbers.'

'My liege,' stammered Béowulf, 'I ask leave to overtake the posee so that I may join the chase. I fear that my news hath come too late.'

'It is well, my son,' said Théoden, 'ye have leave. But refresh yourself first ere ye continue on this journey, for I deem that ye have not eaten supper.

After eating his breakfast, Béowulf rearmed himself and mounted Léod and started to ride down Edoras. He was delayed from going out the gate, however, by a cart which was driven by a dwarf.

'Out-of-the-way-halfling!' shouted Béowulf, 'I am already quite delayed and need no further delaying!'

Corrin shuddered with rage and shouted back, 'Halfling?! HALFLING?! You will regret your words, horse-master, but I will not dally with you now, for I too am in a hurry: I have thieves to catch. But once I have caught them, I WILL DEAL WITH YOU, YOU PALE-FACE!'

'Indeed,' retorted Béowulf, 'ever has a dwarf been so-o-o protective of his own property. . .'

'NOT MY OWN, BUT YOURS!' cried the dwarf, 'Horses were stolen from the White Horse where I was a guest and now I am on my way to overtake and aid the posse that was formed to catch the thieves!' Then added Corrin in a whisper, 'Ungrateful whippersnapper. . .'

Béowulf's eyes flew wide when he heard this and he answered, 'My apologies, sir dwarf, for speaking rashly. I did not know that you were going out of your way to help us. I too am on my way to join the posse. I know that by mine actions I deserve your scorn, but since we have the same errand, let us travel together now and swiftly ere the thieves and the posse get too far ahead.'

'Well, I suppose that we have to hurry,' answered the dwarf, 'But once we have done with this business, I will deal with you!'

'Fair enough,' said Béowulf, 'Though I already repent my harsh words earlier.'

Both rider and dwarf rode out the gates and turned east after passing by the barrows, following the path of the Snowbourne.

[ January 04, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]