View Single Post
Old 09-23-2002, 08:00 AM   #53
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan woke refreshed after a long, undisturbed sleep. He swung his feet to the floor, stood and nearly collided with a chair that stood next to the bunk. A brief wave of disorientation passed over him until he recalled the events of the previous day and realized what cabin he was in. He readied himself hastily for the new day and walked out into the corridor, limping slightly.

On deck, he saw Veritas at the helm, unperturbed by the light rain which continued to fall. However, the wind had changed and the sky appeared to be lighter. Next to Veritas were Ancalimon and Piosenniel. He ascended the short flight of stairs to the helm and greeted the others.

"Any news of Cami and the others?" he asked.

"No," replied Ancalimon. "Though I am not yet concerned. The storm was strong enough to prevent them from returning, but it is passing now. Perhaps we shall learn more this day.

"However, I perceive that Gorthaur's attention has been drawn to this area. He will, no doubt, send men to search for Angara, who he would consider to be a valuable ally. We must keep watch for ships from the North."

Mithadan closed his eyes and shook his head. "So my folly has wrought ill consequences and brought danger to us all. I am a fool."

"Perhaps," said Ancalimon with a slight smile. "But Angara was the bigger fool, sticking her snout where it did not belong. Do not torment yourself about this. For now, our presence remains a secret and, with luck, it will remain so."

Mithadan turned to Piosenniel, who stood by Ancalimon. Her cloak was soaked and her hair a mass of tangles. He ran a hand over her shoulders and said, "You should have roused me. There is much to do."

"It seemed you needed rest," she responded. Then with an impish smile she added, "I never knew that Men snored so!"

Mithadan laughed. "Go below and change into some dry clothes," he suggested. "I will take up the watch for now."

When she had gone, Ancalimon turned to him and said, "The two of you have made your choice. You are bonded together." It was not a question.

Mithadan smiled at the grey-beard. "Yes, we have made our choices. We are joined, whatever fate may bring."

Ancalimon smiled, and it was like a beacon in the darkness of the storm. "Then there is at least some cause for celebration when the others return."

"But no time," replied Mithadan. "The time for celebration shall be when our task is done and not before."

[ September 27, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]