View Single Post
Old 09-23-2002, 01:56 PM   #57
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

As Bird and Cami returned to the warmth of the cave, they found the hobbrim guard in discussion with Andril. The two had put their heads close and talked in hushed, earnest tones.

Yet, apparently, whatever they said had leaked out to Rose. For the girl brandished her sword and strapped it about her waist. Several of the hobbrim came over to take a closer look. They'd apparently not seen such a weapon before.

Andril walked towards the women shaking her head and pondering. "Storms in seasons where there should be no storms; sailing ships on a coast that's been deserted for years! I do not understand it."

Then she went on to explain, "Lights have been sighted in the distant sea, as if two ships were coming together. We do not know the meaning of this, but we fear no honest fisherman would ply his trade in such a gale. And these lights suggest something far larger than a fishing boat. Do you know anything of this?"

Bird looked at Cami and sighed. They excused themselves from Andril and, without hesitation or discussion, turned to Angara. They shared the wise woman's words and waited for a reply. But the only response the beast gave was to dig a hole and bury her head in the sand.

Cami cried out to the wyrm with fierce determination, "You will tell us what is going on, at least enough that my people may defend themselves against this unknown danger. Or, I swear, I will run you through with Rose's blade, and, although I may die, you will suffer! What has happened, Angara? Who pilots these ships, and to what purpose?"

Slowly, the dragon's head lifted from beneath the sand. Cami thought she looked more green than golden. "I am not sure," came the answer, "But these ships may belong to Gorthaur, and perhaps they are searching for me."

"Gorthaur?" A chill touched Cami's heart. "And for you?" she asked incredulously. "But why?"

"Do not ask further," she pleaded. "It is not my fault. It is the Man's stupid blunder, as I told you before. Only bring together all the weapons that you have and think how you may defend yourself. I, alas, can not help you. And," here she looked at Bird, "I would strongly caution against including any dragon in the assault, as it appears to be prime hunting season on the winged beasts."

At this point, Angara tried to send forth a blast of fire, but only succeeded in emitting a very small spark. She receded into the corner of the cave, and began digging an even larger hole to conceal herself.

Cami sat down in great chagrin. The Star had hoped to bring rescue to Kali's cousins. Now it appeared as if they had brought only danger and disaster.

The wise woman directed the hobbrim to bring all their arms within the cave. This included daggers, and bows, and hunting spears. "It is possible," Andril continued, "that their business may be in deep waters, and they will never turn to the shores. But if they wish to explore the coast, they will likely send a landing party on a good-sized skiff, and it would be no small threat to us," she explained.

Kali stepped up and asked, "My own people used to swim down to the bottom of the seas or sometimes even in shallows near the beach and find the precious pools of black liquid which burn even in the rain. We would dip our arrows in it, and then light them with flame."

Andril looked over, "Well done, Kali. Yes, there's a source of that here. Coral will take you and the young ones down to gather some in barrels."

From out of nowhere, the hobbrim were dragging several large rafts which could float in the water. Yet these were so concealed under seaweed and driftwood that they faded into their surroundings.

Andril continued, "If a landing party heads to shore, we'll wait until they reach the shallows. Then, hopefully after dark, we'll swim under water, using the rafts as cover for our heads and also to hide our other weapons and the black fire liquid. When we're close enough, the hobbrim will send flaming arrows onto the ship."

"Bird, you're the only one who can pass as a woman of Numenor. Can you take one of the small skiffs, and bring the burning torches? Perhaps, you should even act as a friendly local, waving in glee to the approaching vessel. We'll need the flames to light the arrows and to destroy the boat itself. Your other skiff that lies under the driftwood we'll scuttle this afternoon to throw off any others who might come along the shoreline."

"Once we harry and disturb them, we must board and destroy all, even the boat itself. For, if anyone learns of hobbits or hobbrim on the shores of Numenor, we will all find ourselves imprisoned in the tombs."

At that instant, the guard returned. "A fair-sized skiff now heads for the coastline, and she bears the banner of the black flag. She still sails some way off, but it is only a matter of time."

Cami turned and shuddered, The black flag, the symbol of the tyrant Gorthaur, now approaching the hobbrim refuge!

[ September 24, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]