View Single Post
Old 05-10-2004, 06:33 PM   #248
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Rauthain

Rauthain listening carefully to Avanill’s words, found no comfort in them, and the young man’s claim again rang false in his ears. For to the older man’s instincts, this one had yet to be appear consumed with a vengeance of any sort, let alone the passion necessary to spur him to seek out this quarry. And the ranger had not forgotten that when he had first met him, Avanill did not appear to be chasing either Barrold or Naiore, though he had recounted the same tale.

One point though, that Avanill had made was indeed true. Rauthain knew he could not yet be sure what link this man had to Naiore, nor by what motive he was at Tallas’ home, and on this he set his hope. For since they had been traveling together Avanill had never shown himself to be under the sway of the Ravennor. And though that too may be a ruse, the young man had proved to be courageous and obliging, meriting in this Rauthain’s respect both at the river and on the battlefield. But by the Valar, he was slippery, too! And not a straight word fell from his lips.

Seeing this paradox, the old ranger fell to questioning himself, not yet understanding why it was that he was inclined to take the reckless boy on the onward journey, for Amandur had spoken the truth at every point, and Avanill had done nothing more to earn their trust since reaching this place. But in searching his own heart, Rauthain grew suspicious of its aims. Had he then grown so corrupted by his own desire to see the death of Naiore that he now actively moved toward that end, seeking this boy only as an instrument to his purpose? For he realized that it was his fervent hope that what ever his motivation, Avanill might prove heavy handed or careless in his ministrations to the elf, stilling the breath within her, to claim her life as a prize. Indeed the old ranger knew in his weakness he would himself foster this idea. And there in lay his shame; for not only did Avanill present an unnecessary danger to their company, but Rauthain knew also that in this propensity, his own loyalty to the Law of the King would be held in question should he succeed in overriding his liege’s wishes in this manner. But if no harm came to his fellows, he thought bitterly, that dishonor was of little consequence. And with no one else left but the Ravennor to suffer from this shift, he was now willing to publicly embrace the ignominy that he had earned at Ravenfalls. He sought only to make amends with Kaldir, before this judgment was pronounced on him.

But setting aside his somber thoughts, he focused sharply as he heard Avanill mention the supposed safety of Vanwe. Rauthain looked to Amandur before turning back to their charge, “Are you saying that you believe Vanwe is here?” His mind swimming as he realized this young elf, stood to accuse Avanill, ensuring his imprisonment. If he had been bluffing, he then played a quite dangerous hand.

“Her mother sent her to retrieve her father, and seeing this place for myself I do not think she would have succeeded.” Avanill remarked. “Don’t worry about my betrayal, good sirs, I give you my word, it will not be broken, besides, if I wanted to escape I would have done so by now. I come from what you fellows would call ‘good stock’. Arrest me if you will, but Eru be damned if you lock me away and take my revenge away from me!”

The Dúnadan flinched at the inauspicious retort, surprised also that Avanill had betrayed such a spark, but his attention was quickly drawn to Amandur who expeditiously had confined the young man against an apple tree and looked as if he intended to assail him further. Astonished, Rauthain placed his hand firmly on the arm that held Avanill secured to the tree. “Amandur, my friend!” he said with concern, cautiously trying to calm the ranger, for he had never known him to act in such a way.

“I have had enough of his lies and wish only to know the truth!” Amandur declared unblinking. Ah if only the truth could be wrestled from him in such a way, thought the old ranger. But the greater the threat of harm, he knew, the more deeply entrenched in lies the young man was apt to become.

“And what truth would you wish to hear my friend…. The truth or the one you have convinced yourself is true. I too feel Tallas’ loss deeply, but we do not know if this young man lies or not,” he said trying to appease them both.

“No you are right my friend, I do not know if he lies or not,” Amandur said releasing his grip. “But…there is one who I believe does, and I strongly believe that she will tell us the truth that we seek,” he said as he continued to watch Avanill. Rauthain shot a quick glance at the man, before addressing Amandur again.

“Yes, I see now that we must take this up with one who would bear witness to his character, and saw how it went not only in Naiore’s camp, but at Tallas’ as well,” he murmured, strangely downcast.

“I am not the one you want,” Avanill declared calmly. “You have no idea who I am, do you?” He paused waiting expectantly for and answer, “I thought not,” he said nodding. “I fear you are not ready to hear what I have to say, for if it is taken the wrong way I will be worried for my life.”

Rauthain braced himself for yet another fanciful tale, resisting the temptation to comment on the man’s credibility, and the fact that he little of it left to lose. But at Amandur’s urging, Avanill took a deep breath and continued, declaring himself to be the son of Atantri, a black market trader, and nephew of the rangers Adoran and Mithsen, who were killed some years back by his father. He explained that he had joined in Naiore’s plans for the promise of quick payment, which he seemed to require.

If this were more deception, then at least it was more skillful, the old ranger thought, for Avanill was too young to have remembered the deaths the two brothers that he named as his uncles. But why would the Ravennor choose to bring along this boy, whom she did not know, on so serious an errand. Testing the speed of his reply, Rauthain asked him as much.

Without hesitation, the young man told them, summarizing his position, as well as what had taken place among the circle of oaks, and for the first time the old ranger was almost persuaded to believe him, though what he had said of Tallas did not sound like the man he knew. But at the same time he felt a strong wave of nausea overcome him, and walking away began to retch, as with dread he realized he was pleased to hear Avanill tell of his loss of control, though it swept up his friend in its bloody savagery.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 05-10-2004 at 07:34 PM.