View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #231
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
That is actually a good question. To the latter, certainly there will be far, far, far more men than women and children, if only because there were always too few women among Dwarves. I think it may be even something like 70% (or even 80?) of men, and some really small number of children (there should be even less of them than women - and far less, because for the time of the existence of the colony there hardly were more than a few born. If I say five children born there, then I am highly, highly overdoing it. And I don't think many parents with children would choose to venture into these uncertain, though of course legendary areas).

And the number of the Dwarves really should not be very big. We are certainly talking less than thousands here. But I am not really good in counting things like this.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories